Friday, May 27, 2005

Security vs. Privacy

How much of your privacy are you willing to trade for your security? In our post 9-11 world, I believe most Americans are willing to give up some of their privacy for safety, but how about a scanning system that, ahem, would allow security personnel to see through your clothing?

According to this report, travelers at America's airports will soon face that possibility. The Department of Homeland Security is about to install state-of-the-art screening machines that can literally see through your clothing, allowing them to detect concealed weapons or explosives. As you pass through a security checkpoint, security screeners may get a look at everything--and I mean, everything.

It's a rather interesting dichotomy. On one hand, I have nothing to hide (quite literally) and the thought of being scanned doesn't bother me (although I hope security personnel will keep their laughter to a minimum). On the other, I don't like the idea of some bureaucrat getting a free--and legal--peep at my wife or daughters.

No comments: